Archive for the ‘A Day in the life of a Librarian’ Category
Well this video concludes a week in the life of a librarian, I hope you enjoyed it. If you’d like to see more please visit the wiki.
For today something a little different
6:00 up and at ’em
6:30 get the call that we have a delayed opening, spend my time on FF and Blackboard
9:00 Arrive at work, check emails, check Voicemail – message from a database rep about contracts, send email in response.
9:30 Time for Management Team Mtg, this one is only once a month.
11:00 Back to my desk, answering emails, talk with Collection Management Librarian about one of our new ordering tools. Another Librarian asks me to help her with Google Calender. We’ve switched to Google for our email and everyone is still figuring out how to use all the tools. I help her and give her a couple of tips.
11:45 Decide funk is in part brought on by the cave that is my office and going out for lunch might help. So I walk to blocks to a local place with good salads
12:30 Back to my desk, check my calender, see I have a WebJunction Virtual Townhall Meeting – Focus on Staff Training at 1pm
12:50 – Log into WJ get some goo info about staff training
2:15 Time to order books! I’m ordering 600s and computer books this year, I think I’ll focus on cookbooks and pets. In the middle I chat with the Teen Librarian about the Teen Advisory Council and getting teens to volunteer to be involved with it.
3:00 Time to weed! I grab the list from the report I ran a month ago and walk across the street to the library, grab a bookcart from Circ and head into the stacks.
4:30 back to desk to check emails and get ready to head home. As I’m getting ready to leave I hit my head on a shelf and realize I’m bleeding, for a minute or two I think I have seriously cut my head and I’m going to have to get stitches and they are going to have to shave my head. Great. Two coworkers check me out and make sure I don’t need stitches. Have I mentioned my coworkers are awesome? ;-)
5:30 Home! Hang out with my Dogs, read a magazine, play Ps2 and wait for Lost to come on!
6:00 wake up, wonder if the weather got bad enough over night that work will be canceled. Get up make coffee and realized that the library will be open today. Fret over whether or not I should just stay home, we’re supposed to get more bad weather this afternoon and I live 30 miles from the library. Decide to go in.
7:15 – leave for work. The highway isn’t great, everyone is going about 50, I see one accident and am almost in one when I have to brake. Ugh I’m over half way to work so I keep going, if I were close to home I’d probably turn around.
8:00 – Arrive at work. Turn on computer, while I”m waiting for my profile to load I chat with coworkers about the weather.
8:30 – check email and open the weather channel in a tab so I can keep an eye on the weather. In case it starts to get bad I want to leave and I have to decide by 3pm if I’m going to cancel my class tonight.
9:10 – post to Twitter asking opinions about a Flickr contact with photos of topless women in his account. I don’t personally care for the photos, I respect his right to have them, but I don’t like the idea of a library contact clicking on one of his comments and being direct to that. Responds vary, but it’s confirmed once again the Twitterati rule. I’ve deleted comments and blocked Flickr users before, but those were people who were making inappropriate comments, including ones that just say you’re hot or something to that effect. In those cases I don’t hesitate, but this one is more boarder line.
10:00 -Review my budget for this year, confirm that I do have the funds to add that new database. Email the rep that we’re going to move forward, within 10 minutes he emails me the forms and contract. Send paperwork to IT to be filled out and sent back to me.
10:30 Start to fret about whether I should cancel tonight’s class, it’s the first face to face one so I think it’s especially important. But I don’t want anyone getting hurt trying to make it in, I have students coming from over 2 hours away. check the local weather.
10:45 Leave my building and head to the main library to check my mail, note that it’s drizzling as I cross the street. Not good. Chat with a couple of coworkers about the past weekend.
11:15 Back to my office, It’s still drizzling and freezing. I check the weather and it look to only get worse. Decide to go home, so I wrap up my emails, back a few magazines in my bag and head out the door at 11:30
12:30 Home, whew! The drive was really bad in some areas. Glad I came home though. Walk the dogs, eat the Chipotle I picked up on the way.
1:00 Back to the computer, check emails, check Blackboard, fret over canceling class repeatedly check weather sites online.
2:00 Look at all the local schools and businesses canceling closing early, note that my library closed at 2pm due to the weather, decide it’s best to cancel classes. Back to reading.
3:00 – Down time, read, watch some Alias, play with the Dogs.
5:00 pm check email, blackboard and FriendFeed. Decide I”m taking the rest of the night off of work stuff. Play PS2 and read a fiction book.
I’m off work at the Library today because I worked the weekend.
7:00 coffee time! I take the dogs out, man it’s cold! I check my email, Friendfeed and return some comments from Facebook yesterday.
9:30 I get ready to run errands. Lots to do today! First stop, my local library (not where I work) to return a couple of videos and pick up Season 2 Vol 1 of Alias, I’m rewatching the series. :-)
Then on to check out a new (to me) gym. My old one closed. It looks really nice, so I’ll be going back at the end of the week to sign up.
I do some grocery shopping and somehow end up with more than I’d planned on getting.
12:00 back home put away groceries, and make lunch – brussels sprouts!
1:00 sit down to work on a workshop I’ll be presenting in Minnesota in April.
4:00 Done! personal time
7:30 9:30 – talk libraries on the phone with a friend.
- 6:30 wake up, I don’t have to be at the library until noon today. Make coffee, I got a Keurig a couple of months ago and I freaking love the thing. I have the reusable filter so I can use my own coffee – no waste! I hit the web, check my email and my top 50 on Friendfeed.
- 7:00 time to get down to business. I’m writing a chapter for a book and I’m hoping to get it finished this week.
- 9:00 I check Blackboard for student posts and questions, today’s the last day for discussion posts for week 1.
- 10:00 Time to get ready for work. It’s been snowing all morning so I”m going to leave early and try to get to the library by 11:30 because I’ll need to shovel and salt the sidewalks before we open.
- 11:30 Arrive at the library, walk through and unlock the building so the rest of the staff can get started when they get there without waiting for me to come back in from shoveling. Grab the shovel and a bucket of salt from the basement and head upstairs. While I’m shoveling several people come by who think we open at noon instead 1. I’m baffled by the people who go up to the door and when it doesn’t open, try to peer inside. What are they looking for? If I’m close by I tell them we open at 1.
- 12:20 Back inside – put the newspapers, make sure everything is ready for the day to get started.
- 1:00 pm the doors open and it begins what is by far the busiest Sunday I have worked the Reference Desk, and most likely the busiest day. The phone rings continually, there is a line at the reference desk and when I have a minute I have to check the voicemails left on the phone while I was helping other and return phone calls.
- 4:00 I leave the desk because I want to check on the person in the computer center, its usually busier down there than up here, so I”m a little worried. She could call up if she needed to, but just in case. She says its been busy but not crazy. I head back up stairs and see people waiting at the desk and jump right back in.
- 5:00 we’re closed.
- 5:10 we get the last patron to leave.
- 6:00 I’m home! I walk the dogs and play with them before eating dinner.
- 7:00 start preparing for Tuesdays lecture.
- 8:30 move time! I watched the Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, I love the other Mummy movies ( I have them and The Scorpion King) but this one, eh, not so great.
Saturday – It’s my weekend to work. Saturday and Sundays are very interesting days, but they are considerably different from how I usually spend my days so I think they are worth documenting.
5:30 am – the alarm goes off, I get up make coffee, check the news and weather. Note that it snowed a bit over night, no idea how much snow they got at work (30 miles away) so I plan to get in early just in case.
7:00 leave for the library, I listen to a lot of books on cd during my commute, this weeks book In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto.
7:40 -9:00 arrive at the library, it snowed a litte, so I salt the walk out back before walking through the building and unlocking everything. Count money, put out todays newspapers, turn on computers, confirm that all the staff showed up. Ensure lunches are coordinated between Children, Teen, Circulation and the Public Computer Center.
9:00 the doors open. I staff the reference desk, answering in person and telephone questions. when I have a time I read the feeds in GoogleReader and try to order some books. I order the 600s, the computer books and the nonfiction books on CD.
1:15-2:00 lunch, I run errands and eat a sandwich from home in the car. Not the best choice but it keeps me from eating fast food.
2:00-5:00 back to the reference – wow! Its busy the rest of the afternoon, no ordering or reading for me.
5:00 close the library, count down the cash registers and head home.
6:00 home, walk and play with my dogs.
7:00 make tea and settle down to check Blackboard for new student posts on this weeks discussion and prepare my lecture for the first face to face class on Wednesday. oh and somewhere in there I ate a sandwich and an orange.
9:30 – work done for the day time for a little R&R before I got to sleep.